Sunday, April 04, 2010

Don Johnson

This is the story of Don Johnson.. I hope you like it.. (This really happened to my brother and I.. Just so you know.)


This is starting in the middle of one of my papers..



My parents decided to go to the store and pick up a few things that we needed. My little brother Jake and I decided that we wanted to go sit in the hot tub. When our parents left we grabbed some towels from the front desk and made our way down the hall to the pool. We stepped into the loud room to see that there weren’t that many people in the pool or hot tub. We put our towels on a table over the room key that our parents loaned out to us. There were two older men sitting in the hot tub as Jake and I got into the warm water. Jake and I talked and the

older men sat on the ledge of the warm hot tub and they dipped their feet in. Jake and I talked about the long trip and laughed at all the fun we’d already been happening. One of the older men got up and left. Jake and I didn’t think anything about it. The thing you need to know about me and Jake is that we look very much alike; people are constantly asking us if we are twins. Well this guy turned to us and he spoke quietly, “Don’t worry I’ll be leaving soon so that you two love birds can have the hot tub all to yourselves.”
Jake and I kind of giggled; I thought it was amazing that he didn’t realize the resemblance. I answered the man politely, “Don’t worry about it he’s actually my little brother. You can stay as long as you’d like.”
Jake and I continued talking, but this old man kept looking at us we both got a creepy feeling and looked over to the old man who was staring at us. Jake and I looked at each other before he spoke again, “Well, you should know who I am.” The man boasted proudly.
I’d never actually seen him in my whole entire life, but he seemed pretty full of himself, so I asked, “Should I? Who are you then?”
He looked at us and puffed out his chest, “My name is Don Johnson and I’m a writer.”
My brother and I looked at him as if he was crazy. I continued to be polite and conversed with him, “Really,” I said excitedly. “I love writing; I hope to someday become an author.”
He looked at me like I was crazy and he said, “You’re going into a very unhappy profession full of a lot of failure.”

I proceeded to tell him that I was just in it for fun. Being an author isn’t my main goal. He seemed to understand this. At this time a little girl came into the hot tub and was kind of swimming around, so I turned my attention back to my brother who gave me a scared type of look. The man convinced the little girl to leave and she left with her parents and went back to her room. With a lurch of his large body and a giant tidal wave almost covering our heads, Don Johnson was sitting in the hot tub with us. He again looked at us strange and said, “I have something to tell you, and I’d actually like to see what you have to say about it.” He got this stupid grin on his face as if he was looking for someone to fight him and he said, “I’m gay.”
Well he had picked the wrong people to look for a fight with; I turned to him and said, “Oh, that’s cool. My best friend is actually gay, and most of my friends are also.”
He looked at me like I was crazy, but he changed the subject very quickly. He looked at my little brother and asked him, “Do you write at all?” My brother answered with a no, so the man asked if he read.
My brother answered with a full answer this time, he said “Yes, my favorite kinds of books are from the War Hammer series.” They are a series of books written about a video game, I believe. He read them the whole time we were on our trip.
“Series, that’s spelled s-i-r-i-o-u-s.” Don Johnson again spoke as if he knew all.
I laughed inside, that’s not how you spell it. I looked at my brother again. Jake is just about deaf in one ear and can’t hear well out of the other, with the noise of the hot tub and a few other people splashing around in the pool, he couldn’t hear the man. So he turned his head
toward Don Johnson and he asked for him to repeat himself. Don did this but leaned closer into my brother. They were now inches apart from each other and I was trying hard not to laugh. Don repeated again, as serious as he was the first time, “Series, that’s spelled s-i-r-i-o-u-s.”
Jake leaned back and looked at me. He and I both have these looks that we give each other to know what the other is saying instead of actually saying it; I gave my brother a ‘what the heck is wrong with this crazy guy’ look. He knew exactly what I was saying, but Don didn’t. He said rudely to me, “That’s what I hate about women.” Oh great, I thought to myself. I opened my eyes and gave him my full attention so he would start the conversation. “I hate when women look at men like they are stupid.” I looked at Jake again, “I just hate that.” Don continued.
My brother knew I wasn’t looking at him like he was stupid. I let the man ramble on and I scooted closer to my brother for safety. Even though he’s young, he’s big and could beat someone if he had to. Don Johnson continued to do what he had to do, and then he looked at us one more time. This time I just stared back at him, “I think it’s time for me to go.”Don Johnson finally spoke the words we were waiting to hear.
“AT LAST” I shouted in my mind! This guy was nuts and I have never felt more awkward in my life. He stood up and said to us, “You two should hug, and make everything better again.” There’s nothing like putting a cherry on top of an awkward, tense filled sundae. The man stood up and walked out of the hot tub, that’s when Jake and I noticed his very inebriated state; he walked back and forth and almost fell over a few times. He walked over to the table where Jake and I had put our towels. He grabbed Jakes towel from the pile and began to rub himself down.

I leaned over to Jake and said, “That’s your towel.” He sighed and leaned his head against the edge of the tub, poor Jake. Don took the towel, and with him went his two older sons who were splashing each other in the pool. As he was leaving he almost fell back into the hot tub, but recovered only to stop inches from running face first into the wall. With the help of his sons, they got him out of the room. When the pool room’s door shut and Don was gone Jake and I laughed and almost cried because of the hilariousness of the situation. Ever since then whenever Jake and I are out in public we search for Don Johnson and hope that someday our paths will fatefully cross again.

3 comments: